Restrict Registration by Email Domains
If you have a public university and would like some control over the type of people who can register, you can choose to limit registrations by either allowing or blocking specific email domains. To create a list of domains allowed to register, use the Whitelist. To create a list of domains to block, use the Blacklist. For example, let’s say you want to allow only people with an email from domain acmecompany.com. Adding acmecompany.com to the Whitelist means anyone with an email address from acmecompany.com can register, but people with addresses on any other domain will not be able to proceed with registration. Conversely, adding acmecompany.com to the Blacklist means anyone with an email address from acmecompany.com will not be able to register, but people with addresses on any other domain will be able to proceed with registration.
To use this feature:
Turn on the setting to enable whitelisting (or blacklisting)
- Go to: Admin > Settings > University > Properties
- Choose either Sign up Whitelist or Sign up Blacklist
Once you have turned the option on, you can add the domains to either accept or block.
Add One or More Domains
Go to: Admin > Users > Domain Listing
- On the Whitelist Domains tab you can add email domains to allow access. In addition, you can customize the "error" message that users receive when attempting to register by selecting Create Request Approval Message.
- On the Blacklist Domains tab, you can enter email domains that are NOT accepted. Learners with this email address who are attempting to register will also receive the Request Approval Message which you can customize for your university on the Whitelist Domains
- On the Registration Approval tab, you can either approve or reject users who have requested approval when they registered and weren't provided access because their email address was either not whitelisted or was on the blacklist.
- On the Failed Signup tab, you can review a log of emails that were not accepted. This list can also be downloaded by selecting Download Rejected Emails.